Virgin Mobile: Wireless Products Architect, Walnut Creek, CA
Wireless Products Architect
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Come to Virgin Mobile to design, build and support high-availability, high-volume systems and networks that support our product initiatives. You’ll evaluate business requirements, translate to technical specifications, lead and participates in cross-functional product teams as necessary to fulfill objectives, and manages vendor feature development, initial deployment, upgrades and certification.
In short, you’ll:
• Maintain the central repository of VMU systems architecture
• Define with operations, engineering and development teams internal standards for hardware/software systems development, management, etc.; ensure new systems and/or modifications to existing systems conform
• Contribute to roadmap development for area(s) of expertise; plan 4 to 6 quarters of activity for responsible area(s). Develop a technology roadmap in support of the product roadmap to drive systems architecture and technology evolution.
• Evaluate business requirements, translate to technical specifications
• Evaluate vendor-provided solutions; builds RFPs, manages vendor input, technical analysis, lab trial(s), etc.
• Provide training resources, methods and procedures, consultation and mentoring to peers in all IT organizations
• Work with handset engineering team to ensure appropriate integration between handset and network; maintains appropriate specification for both
• Work with operations teams to understand limitations or problems with existing systems; work to tune environment to address
• Manage vendor feature development, initial deployment, upgrades, certification
• Integrate new platforms into existing monitoring framework to support ongoing operational need
• Manage teams of vendors/consultants for implementation projects and ongoing support
• Provide third-tier support on an on-call basis for operational issues
• Interface to vendor support organizations as necessary to troubleshoot and fix problems with operating platforms
Don’t be fooled, you will do strategic work AND get down and dirty and be super hands on. Prima donnas need not apply!
Bring your 10+ years of experience in product and systems development in the areas of networking, wireless, internet, or other similar field. A wireless product design and support background is a plus. You should have strong knowledge of software and system design concepts (software/systems/network architecture, high availability, load balancing, geographic redundancy, capacity planning, operational measurement, etc.). An ability to lead and manage resources, excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills, and solid communications skills are all a given!
It would be cool if you had a strong background in web applications, an understanding of standard web protocols and design concepts, and knowledge of wireless (specifically CDMA) protocols and systems.
Some travel is required.
Join America’s fastest growing youth wireless service. Join Virgin Mobile USA.
About our Team
Being a Virgin company, you can be sure we’re different. Our teams work hard, but we enjoy what we do. We’re always on the lookout for talented performers to add to our team. Joining our company is not for the “faint at heart” we work harder than the average cog at one of those monolithic and slow companies things here happen at the speed of light in a lean and hungry environment that is not a fit for everyone. You should enjoy a faced-paced joint with super-smart people who stop at nothing to provide customers with quality, value, innovation, and edgy fun.
Our competitive pay comes with Annual Bonus; fully vested 401K match; Paid Vacation; Medical, Dental, Vision Coverage; Disability, Basic Life and AD&D Insurance; Health Care, Dependent Care & Transportation FSA. Start your job with a Cool new Virgin Mobile phone and Top up $$ to enjoy the experience. You also get Virgin group benefits like discounts on Virgin Atlantic & Virgin Megastore!
For details and to apply, visit: http://tbe.taleo.net/NA1/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=VIRGINMOBILEUSA&cws=1&rid=47
Want to know more? Visit www.virginmobileusa.com
Virgin Mobile is an Equal Opportunity Employer
listing jobs Virgin Mobile Walnut Creek California USA
Please reference MobileWirelessJobs.com when responding.