Director, Engineering – Wireless MVNO
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Our new Director of Engineering will be responsible for network engineering and security, systems integration, messaging platform, handset data (WAP/3G) infrastructure, and various products (such as: instant messaging, group messaging, SMS voting, direct email/SMS communications, etc). You will manage the network and messaging/data/product engineering teams.
Make no mistake here; this is not a dull IT engineering job. In this role you will work at pace you may not have experienced before – developing innovative products on the network side and bringing them to life on the handset side (or vice versa). Apply only if you are ready for this kind of a challenge.
To give you a deeper perspective, here’s some more to think about:
• Design, build and support high-availability, high-capacity network and systems to support various business initiatives
• Work with business teams at conceptual level to digest business requirements and create technical specifications
• Develop timelines and budget for various initiatives; manage projects to time and budget
• Work with Sprint / other vendors to understand external drivers for change (WLNP, PCS 2WSMS, etc.) which create opportunities/difficulties for VMU. Plan and execute to adapt to these initiatives
• Manage messaging technology end-to-end. Work to plan and provide enhancements to accommodate increased traffic and new features as prioritized by business.
• Work with reporting team to extract statistics for messaging and data; Budget, plan, execute and support capacity upgrades in these areas
• Participate in industry forums to obtain competitive and technological information and as advocate for VMU initiatives
• Plus more!
You’ll need 15+ years experience in IT or Telecommunications, with at least 5 of those years in a hands-on management capacity, ideally managing a related team (network engineering, product engineering, development, etc.). It’ll help you understand our environment better if you’ve got startup experience.
Come with a broad understanding of telecommunications and networking concepts and 24/7, high availability operational experience. An in-depth understanding of the mobile / wireless product landscape and technologies will make your resume rise to the top of the heap. You’ve got to have a great sense of humor and the ability to progress despite roadblocks. You’ll need to be able to respectfully work with a variety of personalities to get buy-in and get stuff done.
Make no mistake, this is a significant role at VMU—and you’ll need to illustrate your leadership and technical abilities to the fullest. You’ll need to prove that you can adapt quickly and think on your feet, and that you’re a solid manager who can cheerlead people and help them grow into their roles.
Join America’s fastest growing youth wireless service. Join Virgin Mobile USA.
About our Team
Being a Virgin company, you can be sure we’re different. Our teams work hard, but we enjoy what we do. We’re always on the lookout for talented performers to add to our team. Joining our company is not for the “faint at heart” we work harder than the average cog at one of those monolithic and slow companies things here happen at the speed of light in a lean and hungry environment that is not a fit for everyone. You should enjoy a faced-paced joint with super-smart people who stop at nothing to provide customers with quality, value, innovation, and edgy fun.
Our competitive pay comes with Annual Bonus; fully vested 401K match; Paid Vacation; Medical, Dental, Vision Coverage; Disability, Basic Life and AD&D Insurance; Health Care, Dependent Care & Transportation FSA. Start your job with a Cool new Virgin Mobile phone and Top up $$ to enjoy the experience. You also get Virgin group benefits like discounts on Virgin Atlantic & Virgin Megastore!
For details and to apply, visit: http://tbe.taleo.net/NA1/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=VIRGINMOBILEUSA&cws=1&rid=18
Want to know more? Visit www.virginmobileusa.com
Virgin Mobile is an Equal Opportunity Employer
listing jobs Virgin Mobile Walnut Creek California USA
Please reference MobileWirelessJobs.com when responding.