Director of Engineering
Fox Interactive Media (FIM), a start-up division of News Corporation, is seeking a Director of Engineering to work on a series of dynamic and innovative projects. The FIM Platform Team will be charged with providing top-tier solutions to complex challenges in support of major initiatives in the areas of Sports, Entertainment and News.
Projects will include:
1. Enterprise-wide data collection system
2. Global user segmentation system
3. Ad serving system
4. Content Management System
5. Integrated data analytics system to report performance across all of FIM’s online properties
6. Integration of current social software (RSS, Blogs, Podcasting) tools and exploration of future technologies
The Director of Engineering is responsible for directing the efforts of multiple Fox Interactive Media’s software development teams in the development of software systems and delivery of products. The primary responsibilities include the management of the engineering teams as well as providing technical direction and process for Fox Interactive Media’s diverse and evolving applications. The ideal candidate must have the capability to direct a large growing team of software engineers in a manner that grows their effectiveness, efficiency, and suitability to the technology and product goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
• In conjunction with the VP of Engineering, establishes and carries out a technical strategy that is congruent with the business strategy.
• Works with and supports Product Management team to determine and define product direction and appropriate responses to customer needs.
• Collaborate with other departments to initiate product development projects, establish project priorities, schedules, and budget parameters.
• Direct multiple software development disciplines toward the on-time/within budget completion of complex software development projects. Ensures timely delivery of high quality products.
• Identify solution capability requirements; develop solutions and capabilities that conform fully to these requirements.
• Develop and maintain the technical competence of the development staff in key areas of strategic importance.
• Works with a team of Technical Managers to continually improve development standards and other departmental processes and documentation.
• Monitor and maintain high employee satisfaction and morale.
• Conducts employee reviews and annual performance evaluations.
• Develop and implement departmental planned short and long term goals and objectives.
• Recommend project budgets, schedules and conformance standards for new product development.
• Coordinate staff resource assignments for multiple projects. Assign projects based on the effective utilization of available personnel and resources.
• Assist subordinates, recommend design changes, develop conceptual ideas, and provide product definitions as necessary to achieve objectives.
• Represent the software development function in interaction with external parties including vendors and customers.
• Handle administrative details, including preparing budgets, workload planning and status reports, instructing staff on policies/procedures; responsible for managerial functions, to include hiring, performance management, training, etc.
• Perform special assignments outside of normal responsibilities, as required.
• Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate technical discipline; advanced education desired.
• 5+ years managing a team of Software Engineers, handling multiple concurrent projects, developing total solutions, and interacting with other key business functions within the organization.
• 8+ years demonstrated experience with a broad range of technical backgrounds.
• Additional class work in management type courses and problem-solving techniques is preferred.
• In-depth knowledge of software and hardware development, testing and support practices.
• Familiarity with structured analysis/design and object-oriented analysis/design, and service-oriented architectures (SOA) principles.
• Knowledge of phase deliverables: documentation, reports, and product.
• In-depth technical knowledge of web application development in Java, Relational Databases, LINUX, Integrated Development Environments (IDEs), Distributed Computing Architectures, and Web Services.
• Understanding of system integration and performance analysis.
• Strong written and oral command of the English language.
• Proven ability to communicate on a business and technical level.
• Ability to handle multiple projects at once while meeting production deadlines.
• Ability to lead a growing development group into emerging technologies, leading practices, and high-quality results.
Fox Interactive Media is an EOE.
To apply, please click here.
listing jobs Fox Interactive Los Angeles California USA
Please reference MobileWirelessJobs.com when responding.