Virgin Mobile USA
Director, Mobile Devices – Execution Management
Los Angeles, CA
Join Virgin Mobile USA
as its Mobile Devices Director
and be responsible for leading the handset execution function. You and your team will get to work on exciting (even exclusive) mobile devices; test cool applications and be a part of the latest in mobile device technologies.
This position is critical in ensuring that mobile devices in VMU’s handset roadmap get launched in the market on time with an acceptable quality target. We really do not need to tell you that the quality and user experience of services on these devices will directly affect customer satisfaction thereby impacting churn and revenue.
In this challenging role you will provide day-to-day management of all device engineering and quality assurance issues as well as own the timely execution of the overall device release schedule. You will also be responsible for setting the overall device platform and quality assurance strategy, define and negotiate the primary project milestones between the OEM, external application development and certification partners (including Sprint) as well as internal VMU stakeholders.
We know you love details, so here’s a sneak peek into what your life at Virgin Mobile may look like:
• Manage the team to ensure the realization of VMU’s mobile device portfolio to time, to specification, to quality and to budget.
• Determine and negotiate the milestones to realize a mobile device from compliance matrix to device sign-off.
• Act as a central interface to determine the release readiness of a device with internal stakeholders in customer care, supply chain and product management.
• Create and drive a constant innovation cycle (technical, time) for VMU mobile devices to support the needs of the company’s business functions.
• Lead the team on bug scrubs and resolution path discussions between VMU DQA, device engineering, OEMs and external application vendor.
• Ensure the timely submission of comprehensive test cases to cover the entire feature set defined in the compliance matrix.
• Drive all aspects of network readiness assurance for the device with OEM (CDG, FCC), internal VMU parties (e.g. Siebel), IBM and Sprint (pre-DVT, EDF, STIC etc…)
• Be a principal contributor to the go/no-go decision for software and handset sign-off.
• Continuously refine the device delivery process to reduce time-to-market while maintaining acceptable product quality.
• Contribute to all technical requirements for the mobile devices.
We are looking for someone with 10+ years of mobile device or mobile applications development experience, preferably with an OEM and/or mobile operator. Hands-on experience with operator acceptance and interoperability test procedures for CDMA handsets is highly desired. Software architecture in mobile devices and deep knowledge of software development methodologies will be a big plus.
We expect you to have knowledge of wireless communication and application protocols like CDMA call processing, TCP/IP, SMS, MMS, J2ME technologies. Experience with standard project management and QA tools (MS Project, Bugzilla, Mercury) is highly desired. Your experience in software and hardware architecture, and preferably mobile device realization schedules and operator certification procedures will also come in hand in this role.
This role interfaces with several internal & external entities, so we will look for strong negotiation, multi-tasking and people management skills that will help you clearly communicate time and deliverable requirements.
Our small and lean environment means you will need to be detail oriented but also strategic in nature. Our fast paced, morphing landscape will bring your entrepreneurial skills to test and require you to make some decisions with imperfect knowledge. Needless to say, time management skills and organization skills will help you in a big way.
If you want to be a technical leader and push the envelope on getting mobile devices to market to time and to quality, this could be your dream job.
Feeling excited about the role? All you need to do now is apply using our quick and easy application process.
To apply, please click here
and please reference MobileWirelessJobs.com when responding.
Virgin Mobile is an Equal Opportunity Employer, m/f/d/v.